- AFTER THE BALL a classic with a new verse,
has a strong sentiment
- ALL ABOARD FOR SLUMBERLAND great
toy-costume package idea to go with "The Little Boy"
- ALL ALONE (BERLIN) One of the best barbershop ballads of all time, this song was written in 1924 by the great Irving Berlin.
- ALL DRESSED UP WITH A BROKEN HEART
melancholy, powerful ballad
- ALL THE WAY
This wonderfully intense ballad is great for contest. Flipside first sang it in most heartfelt fashion. Now top women's groups such as MAXX Factor and Gem City have taken this song to a new level.
- AMONG MY SOUVENIRS tearful ballad of lost
- ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT This song from the King works well for both princes and priincesses. Give your audiences the royal treatment by singing them this heartfelt ballad.
- AURA LEE/LOVE ME TENDER These two
love songs from different eras are exactly the same musically. Elvis has
not left the building yet. The men's version is published by the Society.
- B-I-R-D-I-E parody of M-O-T-H-E-R
Ladies, do you love your man for, well, no certain reason, but you love
him just the same?
tells your story.
- BLUES IN THE NIGHT On just about everyone's list of top 10 popular songs of all time, this song gets right to the
heart of the downside of love. Do check out this most powerful, and contestable, piece.
- BROADWAY ROSE a heartfelt fallen-woman
- BROKEN HEARTED An
intense ballad of lost love, this piece is really a winner. The Society
publishes the men's version.
- CLIMB EV'RY MOUNTAIN Songs do not come any more powerful than this classic. The Musical Island Boys did a bang-up job on it in competition.
- CRYING IN THE RAIN Sung by the Everly Brothers, this song of lost love makes a fine tempo ballad for contest (or show).
- CURTAIN FALLS, THE Hey,
if this heartfelt closer about show biz is good enough for Bobby Darin, it
should be a hit for your group too. The arrangement is exclusive to 12th
Street Rag right now, but keep it in mind for the future.
- DADDY, YOU'VE BEEN A MOTHER TO ME we sing
lots of songs about Mother, but here is one to honor the sacrifices made by Dad. The men's
version of this arrangement is published by the BHS.
- DON'T CRY, LITTLE GIRL, DON'T CRY classic
ballad in solid style
DREAM COME TRUE, A Cleveland
barbershopper Al Voigt composed this ode to friends of old.
- FEED THE BIRDS One of the loveliest pieces you will ever hear, this song has a message that reaches well beyond
the avian kingdom. Pairs very well with the "Mary Poppins Medley."
- FOREVER AND A DAY Barry Manilow co-composed and performs this ballad, a powerful declaration of love. Would fit some weddings just fine.
- FOUR WALLS a ballad about loneliness.
- GOD BLESS THE CHILD The rock group Blood, Sweat & Tears revived this 1941 Billie Holiday song in 1968. This tempo, bluesy ballad is as moving as they come. And here is a blessing for you: The piece is no longer exclusive to the Big Apple Chorus.
- GONE strong ballad about lost love.
- GOODBYE, ROSE
old-fashioned ballad about a love in limbo.
- GOODNIGHT,SAIGON Written and performed by Billy Joel, this song is as intense as it gets. Look for it to blow people's doors off in the chorus contest at the Philadelphia international this July.
- HEART OF A GIRL, THE tender, sweet love
- I DIDN'T RAISE MY BOY TO BE A SOLDIER
powerful anti-war sentiment from WWI, as done by San Diego SAI
- I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU This popular classic is now available in two versions. One has the shimmering feel of the
rock 'n' roll hit, while the other is a contestable tempo ballad as sung by Metropolis. The latter can be sung either straight or, as the quartet did it, humorously.
- I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS There are not many lovelier, more poignant ballads than this seasonal one.
Exclusive to the Macomb County Chapter at present.
- I WISH I HAD DIED IN MY CRADLE maudlin,
overstated love ballad
- I WISH THAT I'D BEEN SATISFIED WITH MARY
sweet ballad of a love thrown away
- I WISH YOU WERE JEALOUS OF ME old-time
ballad of one-way love
- I'D GIVE A MILLION TOMORROWS truly
wonderful new take on old love ballad
- I'M ALWAYS CHASING RAINBOWS The late Mike Senter first arranged this plaintive piece, and Tom has put his stamp on it to make it even more singable and moving.
- IF I CAN DREAM If you are not familiar with this song, do yourself a favor and find a clip of Elvis Presley singing it. This
plaintive plea drives and drives and drives.
- IF I FIND ANOTHER BOY LIKE YOU angry love
- IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
Two different verses put fresh spins on Lou Perry's lovely chorus. Both
the sadder slant and the renewal-of-vows versionmake a familiar piece into
- IN MY ALBUM OF MEMORIES ballad written by
barbershop patriarch Hal Purdy
- IN THE EVENING BY THE MOONLIGHT
surprisingly strong contestable version of the old ballad
- IN THE HEART OF THE CITY THAT HAS NO HEART
old-fahioned song of sadness about a fallen woman
- IN THE SHADE OF THE OLD APPLE TREE
different verses set up happy and sad versions
- IT'S A MAN, EVERY TIME, IT'S A MAN ballad
blaming men for most women's love toubles
- IT'S MAGIC Metropolis hams this tune up, but it can be sung straight just fine. Profess your love with this soaring song.
- JUST A BABY'S PRAYER AT TWILIGHT little
child prays for Daddy off to war in France
- JUST A LETTER FROM OHIO regional ballad,
similar to "Farm In Old Missouri"
- LITTLE BLACK ME powerful ballad,
anti-racist, would take guts
- LITTLE BOY, THE moving ballad, as sung by
- LITTLE BOY IN BLUE, A ballad of a young
- LITTLE OLD LADY really sweet ballad with
an old-fashioned feel
- LITTLE OLD LADY really sweet ballad with
an old-fashioned feel
- LITTLE LADY MAKE BELIEVE A beautifully
tender song for a parent to sing to a daughter dressing up in Mommy's old clothes.
- LITTLE PAL touching song from a wayward
father to his son
- LOST IN THE STARS possibly contestable
version, powerful song
- LOVE'S OLD SWEET SONG this classic ballad
creates a vivid mood of love
- MANDY LEE sweet classic love ballad
- MARY, YOU'RE A LITTLE BIT OLD FASHIONED
classic barbershop ballad
- MAY YOU ALWAYS modernish rhythmic ballad,
suitable for contest, sweet sentiment
- MEET ME TONIGHT IN DREAMLAND classic
ballad everyone knows
- MIDNIGHT ROSE
a new setup for a favorite ballad, this verse
and tag turn Ed Waesche's classic arrangement from a song about a painted
lady of the night into a tale of a faithless wife. Exclusive to Rhythmix
- MISSOURI LOVE SONG Hey, this is no a small song celebrating the love of only one person. No, this is about loving the whole state of Missouri. Can you say, Show Me?
- MOOD INDIGO A popular classic, this swingy tempo ballad is sure to please your audiences (and even the judges).
- MOONLIGHT AND ROSES a pretty tune of
- MOONLIGHT BRINGS MEMORIES/MOONLIGHT AND ROSES
poignant ballad medley of two pop standards
- MOTHER, I'M DREAMING OF YOU old-fashioned
ballad about Mom
- MUSIC MAN BALLAD MEDLEY Check out this lovely mix of "Sincere," "It's You" and "Lida Rose" from the classic musical.
- MY ROMANCE/IT'S YOU a truly gorgeous
contest ballad medley
- MY UNCULTIVATED IRISH GENUS ROSA
Can you guess which classic barbershop tune this is a parody of? All
mischief is created by substituting fancy words for the normal ones.
- MY FOOLISH HEART Here is a wonderful contest ballad about falling in love despite having been burned many times
in the past. Power Play sang this hopeful tune most beautifully.
- NANCY LEE old-fashioned song about a
- NIGHTINGALE SANG IN BERKELEY SQUARE
contestable version of this beautiful ballad
NOW IS THE HOUR Bank Street competed with this moving piece, which David Leeder turned into a poignant World War I song by writing a new verse. Now a second version is available, one in which the Musical Island Boys celebrate the Maori roots of the song.
- OH! WHAT A PAL WAS MARY powerful ballad,
truly a gem
- OLD BLACK JOE this old song requires some
- OLD FOLKS
The Four Renegades and Suntones used to sing Buzz Haeger's version of this
tune about a beloved old fellow.
- OLD SPINNING WHEEL, THE evocative
- ONCE UPON A TIME A new
twist on an old favorite, this ballad is sure to move your audiences'
- ONLY A VOICE ON THE AIR great ballad in a
- PAL OF MY DREAMS a truly marvelous ballad,
as sung by Power Play
- PALS OF THE LITTLE RED SCHOOL ballad about
missing childhood friends
- PENNIES FROM
HEAVEN Yes, it does work in contest. Not many prettier
ballads than this one around.
- ROCK-A-BYE BABY sweet old lullaby, as sung
by Power Play
- ROSES BRING DREAMS OF YOU A solid but not
simplistic ballad, this gem is no longer exclusive to Power Play.
- ROSES OF PICARDY stong, haunting ballad
- SECOND STAR TO THE RIGHT A beautiful ballad from the animated film "Peter Pan," this song will be debuted at the 2009 Anaheim international contest. As you can guess, it is exclusive till then.
- SHE IS MORE TO BE PITIED THAN CENSURED
definitely an oldie, to be sung tongue in cheek
- SILVER THREADS AMONG THE GOLD
A classic ballad of aging, this chorus (only) is most lovely.
- SLUMBER MY
DARLING One of the great Stephen Foster's less
well-known tunes, this piece is nonetheless wonderful. This lullaby might
even be a little bit better for fathers to sing than mothers.
- SO LONG, MOTHER the tender World War I
song, as sung by The New Tradition. The men's version of this arrangement is published by
- SOLITAIRE Who would have pictured this haunting song by the Carpenters being sung in contest? Well, one quartet did, and you should be hearing it soon. Let their identity be a surprise till then.
- SOMEBODY'S DARLIN' ultra-intense Civil War
- SOMEONE IS WAITING AT HOME, SWEET HOME old-fashioned
ballad about parents waiting back home
- SONNY BOY this ballad is always good for
lots of emotion
- SWEETHEART, I'M SORRY apologetic, square
- SUNSHINE OF YOUR SMILE, THE
First a barbershop hit for the 1956 champ Confederates, this ballad is a
is no longer exclusive
to Power Play.
- TEARS (FOR SOUVENIRS) strong ballad asking
the lover to make up
TELL MY FATHER From the musical "Civil
War," this song of a dying young soldier is truly astonishing. No longer
exclusive to Power Play.
- THAT LOVELY WEEKEND Though this ballad was most popular in the UK, barbershoppers the world over will enjoy its sweet sentiment.
- THAT SILVER HAIRED DADDY OF MINE How long has it been since you heard a good old Gene Autry song? Well, your audiences probably haven't either, so take them back in time with this heartfelt tempo ballad.
- THAT SONG MY
MOTHER SANG You pretty well know the whole song from the
title. This sort of ballad has barbershop
written all over it.
- THAT WONDERFUL MOTHER OF MINE this song is
heartfelt and purely old-fashioned
- THERE'S A LITTLE SPARK OF LOVE STILL BURNING
old-fashioned love ballad
- THERE'S A ROSE ON YOUR CHEEK tender ballad
written by early barbershopper Hal Staab
- THOUSAND THOUGHTS OF YOU Nat "King" Cole sang this haunting song of lost love. Sad songs just do not get any prettier than this.
- TIE ME TO YOUR APRON STRINGS AGAIN a
poignant ballad about mother
- TILL WE MEET AGAIN this WW I ballad never
goes out of style
- TIME AFTER TIME a classic ballad revised
- TOO MANY PARTIES AND TOO MANY PALS yet
another ballad of a woman too wild for her own good
- TOO YOUNG An ageless song of young love, this tune tells of the greater wisdom of the younger folks.
- WEDDING BELLS ARE RINGING FOR SALLY sad
ballad of lost love
- WHEN I GROW TOO OLD TO DREAM beautiful
Sigmund Romberg tempo ballad
- WHEN I LOST YOU voted the best barbershop
ballad of all time by Arrangement judges, this song will touch your listeners' hearts.
- WHEN I LOST YOU, AGING SUPERHEROES PARODY
Are your superpowers, and maybe even some of your normal ones, fading
away? Then you will be able to relate to this cute parody. Not
surprisingly, it goes well with the Aging Superheroes Medley.
- WHEN THERE'S LOVE AT HOME A beautiful,
heartfelt song, this is a pure joy to sing and listen to. Power Play sings it.
- WHEN YOU AND I WERE YOUNG, MAGGIE strong
- WHEN YOUR OLD WEDDING RING WAS NEW/DEAR OLD SUE
square medley of love that has stood the test of time
- WHERE IS LOVE There are not many lovelier, more touching Broadway ballads than this. A bonus is that this song
- WHERE THE BLUE ON THE NIGHT MEETS THE GOLD OF THE DAY
tempo ballad that really paints a picture
- WHISPERING easy beat, contestable love
- YESTERDAY'S ROSES MEDLEY ballad medley of
- YOU KNOW YOU BELONG TO SOMEBODY ELSE
ballad with a temptation theme
- YOU MEDLEY
What could be better than two ballads from "The Music Man" that
are both about, well, you?
- YOUNG AND FOOLISH great for contest, this
'50s ballad builds to a surprising level of power. The men's version is published by the
- 50,000 NAMES The number is a reference to the names on the Vietnam Memorial wall. The Brothers in Harmony took the place by storm when they placed high with this song and "Goodnight, Saigon" in international.