Regular visitors to this page will note the change of header, from Women Only to Women's Room. Also, there are far
fewer songs listed here than in the past. The reason is that almost all of Tom's arrangements are suitable for women
as well as men, so do check out other pages for the particular types of songs your group is looking for. Included here, then,
are some songs that fit women especially well. Remember, though, don't stop looking here!
- ALL ALONE! (VON TILZER) cute come-hither
uptune, fine for women and men too
- ALL THE WAY
This wonderfully intense ballad is great for contest. Flipside first sang it in most heartfelt fashion. Now top women's groups such as MAXX Factor and Gem City have taken this song to a new level.
- AMERICA (WEST SIDE STORY) lively, great
- ANYTHING YOU CAN DO an eight-part song
from "Annie Get Your Gun" that is a sure hit for a combined number with a chorus
or quartet of the opposite sex. Can you guess who wins in the end? Also available in
eight-part male and female versions.
- ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT This song from the King works well for both princes and priincesses. Give your audiences the royal treatment by singing them this heartfelt ballad.
- ART IS CALLING FOR ME hilarious Victor
Herbert song for women only, requires a soprano who can sing high in operatic fashion.
- AVE MARIA If you have a lead singer
inclined toward sacred music, this solo is for you.
- BARE NECESSITIES From the animated musical "The Jungle Book," this delightful tune will charm audiences and judges alike. Storm Front sang it until they decided to be unremittingly hilarious.
- BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME lovely pop song by
Celine Dion, in the mold of "The Wind Beneath My Wings"
- BEETHOVEN'S FIFTH SYMPHONY mix of
classical music and fun lyrics, a real kick, lyrics have a soap-opera theme, which could
- BEST THINGS HAPPEN WHILE YOU'RE DANCING, THE What are these wonderful things that happen on the dance floor? Your can probably guess, and your audiences will love hearing about them.
Ladies, do you love your man for, well, no certain reason, but you love
him just the same?
tells your story.
- BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO The lively pop hit by Neil Sedaka can now be sung in contest. Big fun awaits you!
- CAN'T BUY ME LOVE This classic from the Fab Four is not only lively and wise, it is contestable too (though perhaps not for SAI). But whether for contest or show, this song is a sure winner! "Everybody tells me so." And Tim Waurick's tracks for women are purely great!
- CHAMPION'S KNACK Written
to the tune of "Ballin' the Jack," this parody pokes fun at the cliched
stage-presence moves we barbershoppers are wont to make. Your audiences,
especially barbershop ones, will love it.
- DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE High energy is the name of the game with lively number. The BHS publishes the men's version.
- DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME for contest or
show, audiences and performers absolutely love it
- FOR GOOD From the musical "Wicked," this song features a heartfelt, intense dialogue between witches Elphaba and Glinda. If your group has two good soloists with medium to high voices, this is the ticket for you. Also available in one-soloist version.
- GIRL IN 14G, THE Kristin Chenowaeth popularized this cool, fun, creative piece. For women only, it requires an opera diva, a jazz singer, a barbershopper and the innocent girl caught in the middle. Not for the faint of heart.
- GOODBYE MEDLEY
An enormously funny and interesting conglomeration, this piece is
contestable too. This winner has been recorded by "the BUZZ." The medley
bashes the opposite sex, well, just a little bit.
- GRAVITY BLUES hilarious number that
bemoans the effects of aging on a woman's body.
- HARMONY JOE A happy tune
that just rolls along, this song can be sung in backbeat or downbeat
fashion. The men's version is published by the Society.
available for men too, this hilarious song of what happened in the back
seat of the teen's car is pretty odd and offbeat.
- HIT THE ROAD, JACK Arranged for women's chours or quartet plus male soloist, this piece is just about as much
fun as you would guess -- which is to say, a lot.
- HOW WONDERFUL TO KNOW The original
lyrics to this song are in Italian, and the Italians sure do know about
love. The piece was arranged for the LABBS organization, but is available
- I DIDN'T RAISE MY BOY TO BE A SOLDIER
powerful anti-war sentiment, as done by San Diego SAI
- I HAVE A LOVE gorgeous tune from
"West Side Story" (solo plus chorus)
- I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU
Popularized by Dusty Springfield in the '60s, this happy love song was
arranged for all the LABBS ladies.
- I THINK YOU'RE WONDERFUL happy uptune for
kids of all ages
I WANNA MARRY MARY/HARRY composed
for a Cape Town quartet by South African Hal Shaper, writer of
"Softly, As I Leave You," this tune was written for Hal's son Harry
-- age four! Quite a lively song this is. Being
in the third person, it can be sung by either sex, in the manner of "If He
Can Fight Like He Can Love."
- ICH WILL KEINE SCHOKOLADE German song of a woman who wants love,
not chocolate, really cute
- I'D RATHER BE THE GIRL IN YOUR ARMS (THAN THE GIRL IN YOUR
DREAMS) cute uptune for women, urging man to take action
- IF I FIND ANOTHER BOY LIKE YOU angry love
- IF WE EVER NEEDED THE LORD BEFORE
traditional gospel tune, in both barbershop and modern versions
- IF YOU BELIEVE uplifting pop love ballad
about having faith in yourself and others
- I'LL NEVER SAY
"NEVER AGAIN" AGAIN A lively swing number, this tune is a hit
for ReMix for the women and Metropolis for the
men. We can't be sure about love, can we?
- I'M A MIDDLE-AGED WOMAN This ribald tune, written by Seattle's own Lisa Koch, is available in both PG- and
R-rated versions. You pretty much have to see/hear this one to believe it.
- I'M BEGINNING
TO LIKE IT This one is tough to explain. Think of a typical
'30s swing tune with modern lyrics like
"hard-rock diet," "in your face" and "MTV and AMC." Way cool! And it is
- IN MY ROOM
The Beach Boys' story of teenage angst is surprisingly sweet and moving.
SPEB publishes the men's version.
- IT'S A MAN, EVERY TIME, IT'S A MAN ballad
blaming men for most everything
- I'VE GOT A PAIN IN MY SAWDUST
cute, the doll had "appendisawdust"
- KNOCK KNOCK SONG Spike Jones and His City Slickers did a bang-up job on this number way back when. There is plenty of room for fun, including making just about every sound effect you can think of.
- LET'S SING AGAIN MEDLEY
How is this for a great combination: "Let's Sing Again," "I Feel a Song
Comin' On" and "It's Time to Sing 'Sweet Adeline' Again"? Makes a great
contest number for the ladies.
- LITTLE GIRL, THE moving ballad, as sung by
Swinglish Mix; the Interstate Rivals sang this song as "The Little Boy"
- LULLABY IN RAGTIME A contestable version
of barbershop classic
- MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING this lovely
Carpenters' hit is especially appropriate for women to sing.
- MISS CELIE'S BLUES (SISTER) sisterhood
song for women, from film "The Color Purple"
- MOONSHINE LULLABY An unusual type
of lullaby, this tune from "Annie Get Your Gun" has a lazy, fun feeling to
- MOVING PICTURE HERO OF MY HEART, THE cute
novelty number, for women only
- MY FAIR LADY
MEDLEY All of your favorites are included here. Great for
choruses, and maybe even quartets, of both sexes.
- MY GOLDEN BABY love song, a mix of German
- RAZZLE DAZZLE From the hit musical
and movie "Chicago," this fast-paced song is both lively and timely.
- ROSE MEDLEY three lively rose songs for
SECRET LOVE Arranged for the LABBS
organization, this lush tune works for men too.
- SUMMER HOLIDAY Lots of
seasonal fun to be had with this hit from the UK.
- SWEET CHARITY MEDLEY Here are
three songs from the musical about everyone's favorite dance-hall girl:
"Hey, Look Me Over," "Baby Dream Your Dream" and "Big Spender." This
combination of witty and hopeful tunes are best suited for women only.
- THAT'LL BE THE DAY uppity rock hit
performed by Buddy Holly and by Linda Ronstadt
- THAT'S MY WEAKNESS NOW/THAT CERTAIN
PARTY Swing Street and SRO sing this energetic love
medley. Try this proven winner with your group.
- TO KNOW HER (HIM) IS TO LOVE HER Emmylou
Harris revived it this rock'n'roll hit
- UNDER THE BOARDWALK This happy
summer song is always in season. SPEB publishes the men's version.
- WALTZ ME AROUND AGAIN WILLIE this
old-fashioned uptune is light and lively
- WEDDING OF THE PAINTED DOLL very cute, in
German or English
- WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT MY MUSIC
powerfully fitting show song, sung by numerous SAI choruses
- WHEN I JUST WEAR MY SMILE
Ready to thumb your nose at fashion snobbery? With its ever-so-mildly
risque lyrics, this Mama Cass tune is bound to be hit, whether on the
contest stage or a show.
- WHEN I SING jazzy, fun, a natural for
- WHOLE NEW WORD
a #1 hit for Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle in 1993, this new tune
soars into the stratosphere to tell us of new love. So take a magic carpet
ride on this theme song from "Aladdin."
- WIND BENEATH MY WINGS, THE inspirational
Bette Midler hit about the man behind the woman, or vice versa
- WW I SMILE MEDLEY as sung by SAI's San
Diego Chorus, a real production number
- YOU CAN'T GET A MAN WITH A GUN
The great Irving Berlin makes some of his best wordplays in this
delightful song. From the musical "Annie Get Your Gun," this contestable
tune is for women only.
- YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND What's not to like about this Carole King classic? Great for honoring a special person or
delighting all of your audiences.
- YOU'VE GOT TO SEE MAMMA EVERY NIGHT cute
song laying down the law about fidelity, for women only